Sleep Apnea: Types, Signs and Risks To Know
Sleep is one of the most important parts of our lifecycle as it fuels growth and helps our body to recharge. But if that same sleep is disturbed every day, it will hamper the health of a person. Sleep apnea is one such sleep disorder that occurs when a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep.
Types of Sleep Apnea
- obstructive sleep Apnea- This is the most common type of sleep apnea where the breathing cessation is caused by a blockage of the airway resulting from relaxed throat tissues, resulting in snoring.
- Central sleep Apnea- In this, a person suffers from breathing cessation while sleeping because the brain fails to send correct signals to the muscles that control breathing.
- Complex sleep Apnea- This one complies both Obstructive and central sleep Apnea. It is a recently discovered type of sleep Apnea.
Signs of Sleep Apnea
– Daytime sleepiness or fatigue.
– Grasping or Choking sounds
– Silent pauses while breathing
– Waking during the night to go to bathroom
– Morning headaches
– Decreased sexual desire
– Memory loss
– Difficulty concentration
Who all are at Risks of getting Sleep Apnea:
Family Medical history-
If a person’s mother, father or grandparent suffers from sleep apnea, the person is at high risk to develop sleep apnea.
The heavier a person is, the higher is his risk of developing sleep Apnea.
Middle-aged people are more likely to suffer from sleep Apnea than younger people.
Health condition- People who suffer from diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart illnesses. People who have allergies or those who have a cold, but only during the illness.
People who have enlarged adenoids or tonsils, narrow throat, or receding chin have a higher risk of developing the disorder.
People who are dependent on drugs or alcohol have an increased risk of developing sleep Apnea. Smokers have a higher risk of developing sleep Apnea as smoking can cause
the airway to become inflamed or retain fluid.
If you suffer from sleep apnea, look no further. The dentist at Sinclair smiles, in Encinitas, California will provide you utmost care. Book your appointment soon with a dentist near you at Encinitas, California.