Gum Contouring In Encinitas: Everything You Need to Know
We all want to have a beautiful smile. Unfortunately, not all of us are born with the ideal smiles we would like to have. Smiles are affected by various factors, including teeth discoloration, loss of teeth, misalignment of teeth, and the gum line. In this blog, we will discuss more about the gum line and how making a few changes to your gums can enhance your smile.
What is Gum Contouring?
Also known as gum reshaping, gum contouring is the procedure of evening out the gums to fix a gummy smile and achieve a perfect gum line. The dentist can use a scalpel to remove the extra gum tissues. Alternatively, he can use laser technology. The laser gum contouring procedure is less risky since there is less bleeding and the recovery period is much faster. We are here for you if you are looking for laser gum lifts and reshaping in Encinitas, CA
What Can I Expect From a Gum Contouring Procedure?
Typically, the procedure is performed in a dental office. There are several options, and the dentist will use the one that suits you the most. You get to choose between the traditional approach (use of scalpels), use of laser technology, or use of radiosurgery. Discuss with the dentist and choose the approach that works best for you.
In most cases, the procedure will be performed in a single visit to the dentist. Since the procedure can get painful, the dentist will offer local anesthesia. He will then use a scalpel or laser to remove the extra gum tissue. Then, he will re-sculpt the gums to expose more of the teeth and achieve an excellent gum line.
If the procedure is performed to correct receding gums, your dentist will have to add more tissue to your gums. The extra gum tissue can be gotten from the roof of your mouth, another person, or artificially manufactured. He will then place the gum tissue in the right areas and lengthen them to correct the recession. The laser gum contouring procedure
takes a few hours to complete, depending on the extent of your problem.
What Are the Benefits of Gum Contouring?
Compared to the traditional approach, laser gum contouring is more advantageous. Some of the benefits that come with the approach include:
- It is accurate and precise, reducing the damage of surrounding tissue.
- Laser technology promotes a faster recovery period.
- The laser technology reduces the risk of swelling and bleeding too much.
- It minimizes the risk of bacterial infections after the treatment since the wound is usually very small and sterilized.
- Laser gum contouring is painless and does not often require anesthesia, especially if it is using a laser diode.
- The laser technology makes a patient feel safer and more comfortable.
What Are the Risks of Gum Contouring Procedure?
Like other surgical procedures, there are a few reactions associated with the gum contouring procedure. However, these problems are often nothing to worry about as they disappear on their own within a few days or weeks. They include:
- Allergic reactions to sedation used.
- Infections after the procedure.
- Gum tissue relapse.
- Swelling and bleeding
If you experience any of the above, be sure to contact your dentist for further guidance. Laser gum contouring reduces these risks significantly, and that’s why it has become the preferred approach. Talk to us if you are looking for a dentist in Encinitas, CA
, offering laser gum contouring services.
You will need a few days to fully recover and return to your routine activities. However, you will need to take time off from your work because the discomfort during the recovery period is nothing you can’t handle. In the meantime, do the following to accelerate your healing period:
- If the soreness is causing you pain, take recommended painkillers as directed on the packaging.
- Eat only soft days for the first few days.
- Avoid spicy, hot, and hard foods until you are all healed up.
- Avoid foods with small seeds that could get caught up on the treatment site.
- Brush your teeth and floss normally but be gentle on the gums.
- Take warm salt water every day during your recovery period.
Talk to us if you require laser gum contouring in Encinitas
, and let us help you. We can help you with cosmetic, preventive, and restorative services. Book an appointment now.